Strapless kitesurfing is becoming a very popular discipline in the world of kitesurfing. Learn how to start riding a strapless surfboard.
Riding the waves with a kite and without straps involves a surfboard.
It may be a classic surfboard used in surfing, but today kitesurfing brands have designed their own kitesurfing models with subtle changes in their core and main features.
Traditionally, a strapless kitesurfer is someone who wants to mix speed, air and wave surfing.
He or she seeks the freedom to accelerate in flat water, then switch to a big air or surf break scenario.
Because you are not strapped in when you jump, you must grab the board and position it so that it does not get carried away by your feet.
However, for many runners, this is what brings fun to the session.
There is an additional change position challenge for those coming from two points. You will need to change feet before or after turning the board into the wind.
This is an important technique for efficient and comfortable riding in both directions.
If you want to become an accomplished strapless kitesurfer, you have to learn to turn, jump, and use the wind in your favor.
Because the wax and the traction pads will be all the grip you get.
Strapless Kitesurf 101
Let’s start with a simple water start without straps:
1. Place the board in front of you;
2. Pull the kite bar lightly and place it downwind;
3. Position your feet flat on the board;
4. Lean back and let the heel rail of the board submerge a bit;
Now let’s learn how to change stance and jibe.
Remember, you need to decide whether you are going to change feet before or after turning the board into the wind.
1. Ride your kite at a constant speed;
2. Bring your back foot back to your front foot;
3. Move your original front foot to the back of the board;
4. While climbing on the toes, carve on your heel and send your kite in the opposite direction;
If you are switching from your strong side to your weak side, do the following:
1. Sculpt down to the toes;
2. Send the kite in the opposite direction;
3. Bring your back foot back to your front foot;
4. Move your original front foot to the back of the board;
Now that you’re comfortable with jibing, let’s learn how to jump on a strapless board:
1. Go upwind;
2. Push the tail of the board with your back foot;
3. Extend the front paw;
4. Take to the skies;
5. Reach for the front hand to catch the board;
6. Redirect the kite slightly and the sheet to maintain the hover;
7. Turn the board over and bring your knees to your chest;
8. Throw the board into the water;
9. Extend your legs to land on them;
10. Go to bed and go;